Saturday, March 19, 2011

Mango Pistachio "Ice Cream"

I got my Vitamix!  I got my Vitamix!  March 4th was the day.  I opened up the box and there staring back at me was a beautiful, shiny, black and silver, state-of-the-art blending machine.  Come to me baby and let's see what magic we can make.

Here's one of the first things I made.  It's really fast to whip up and uses up a bunch of those frozen, over-ripe bananas we all have in the freezer.

Mango Pistachio "Ice Cream"

1/4 cup almond milk, and extra for desired consistency
1 cup frozen banana chunks
1 cup mango chunks
1 T agave nectar (optional)
2T unsalted pistachios

Although you can use any type of blender, you'll get a creamier texture with the vitamix.  Pour in the milk and then the fruit and agave.  Wizz it up.  You'll probably have to turn the blender off a few times and moosh the contents around due to air pockets.  Add more almond milk until you get the desired consistency, but not too much or you'll end up with a smoothie.  Then add the pistachios and give it a final blend until the nuts break up a bit.


Notes:
To freeze bananas, peel and cut the very ripe fruit into 1" chunks.  Place bananas in a large plastic bag and arrange in a single layer.  Freeze for at least 24 hours.  I always have a bag of these going in my freezer.  When the bag gets low, I just add some more.

As far as the almond milk goes, you can substitute any non-dairy milk product.  I like almond milk because it has a thick, creamy texture.

If you don't have agave nectar, use honey, or omit it all together.  If the fruit is sweet you don't really need it.


Words escape me.

No comments:

Post a Comment